Friday, February 06, 2015

My Interview With Lee Ryder

I got to interview a new to me author Lee Ryder this year.



When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I started writing when I was very young. However, my first book Broken Earth came out in December of 2013.

Have you ever created a character for a book you were working on and they realised that they didn’t work in that book and they belonged in a completely new book?
With just two books out right now I decided that I needed to expand on Mollie who is a secondary character in my series. So I wrote her story before the events in Broken Earth in a short story entitled Irish Eyes. I connect with Mollie so many ways with her love of family and her spiritual nature. Mollie in Broken Earth is truly a look into my heart.

Can you tell us about your upcoming book? And how did you come up with the idea?
The whole idea from Broken Earth came from a dream I had after hearing the song Judgement Day by Doreen Taylor. It’s a fabulous song written by an Indie Rocker who just like me, does things her own way. The song talks about the end of the world and in the video the woman is looking for her boyfriend. I went to bed that night truly inspired and it blossomed from there into Broken Earth and then Shattered Hearts.

How long does it usually take for you to write just one book?
Broken Earth took less than a month to write and Shattered Hearts took two months coming out in February 2014. Irish Eyes took a bit longer as I was working on several other projects at the time and had taken some time to work on some charity projects that were close to my heart.

Where do your ideas come from?
I get ideas from the people I meet, the stories I hear, music, things on television. It’s a wide range. I actually took a trip to Atlanta last October and took a notebook with me so I could write down ideas from the places I visited and the people I met.

Have you ever removed a character or changed a character in a book before publishing it and then regretted it?
 No, I have a solid character base. However, at the end of Shattered Hearts we leave behind two characters and bring in others along the way. Book three of the Broken Earth series is very different, many things have changed. I think the readers will be pleasantly surprised.

When writing about something you don’t know very much about where does your information come from?
I’ll look things up on the internet and at the library. I’ll also pull on information from family and friends. My friend Kellie McKay is very instrumental in my writing. She and I have sessions online where we just go back and forth. She’s a huge help to me with my writing. She’s a really creative lady and my best friend.

What is the easiest and the hardest part to write?
Honestly world building for me has never been a problem, but creating a character and writing for them is difficult. It’s just like in the real world; you need to get to know someone because the people in my book are literally real in my head. You have to plan out their back story in your head before writing their story from that point on. It can be a very interesting process at times. Everyone has a unique story in this world.

Do you ever experience writers block? If so how do you find best to cure it?
I’ve been blocked and unblocked over this past year for sure. That’s why book three of the series has been held up so much. I find the best thing to get those creative juices flowing again is to write fanfiction. While it’s easy to write because I know the characters in the story it gets my mind back into a zone where I can get back into the flow of my own books.


Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?
I want to say Thank You, from the bottom of my heart. I honestly would not be where I am if you didn’t read my books. I’ve met some amazing people along the way and I’m sure to meet many more. I want to especially thank my family for all your patience with me. I’ve really had the backing of everyone which is incredible. My kids are my biggest fans. They are quite funny, if they read over my shoulder I look at them and say, “You might not want to do that; I’ll kill your favourite character.”
 I also want to tell my fans that I have an open door; I’m an open book per say. If you have a question, please contact me I’d love to talk to you! I’m a very friendly gal so never be afraid to send me a message. Hit me up on Facebook, follow me on Twitter (I’ll follow you back). I have a blog, Instagram, Google +, Pinterest, and Tsu Account. Drop me a line!  If you like my books invite your friends to visit my page! You guys are awesome! 

Where can we stalk you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...