Thursday, April 02, 2015

My Interview With Ember Shane

After being given Of Royal Decent to review and falling in love with it I decided to put Ember Shane in the interview seat or the first interview of April.

Of Royal Descent (The Doyle Hawthorne Series, #1)     Of High Treason (The Doyle Hawthorne Series, #2)
When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I've been writing ever since I can really remember.  But as far as my first published book, I began in the summer of 2012 and published in the fall of 2013.

Can you tell us about your upcoming book?  And how you came up with the idea?
My next book will be the third installation in The Doyle Hawthorne series.  The idea for the series itself was kind of a fluke.  At the time, I'd been working on a time traveling romance novel.  One night at work, someone said to me, "You should write a romance novel about zombies.  That would be awesome."  I just remember thinking, "Ew."  There was probably a look of faint disgust on my face.  But on my way home, the idea began to take seed.  I love a good challenge, and making zombies romantic seemed like an ultimate one.  I sat down, scribbling ideas furiously, and drew out a blueprint for what later became books 1 and 2.

When writing about something you don't know very much about, where does your information come from?
Lots and lots of internet research.  I once researched for three hours for one line of text, only later to remove that line in editing. 

What is the easiest and hardest part to write?
I love writing emotionally-charged scenes.  Fear, grief, rage.  Those scenes tend to fly right out of me.  It's the scenes where I let other voices into my head that are the hardest to write.  Sometimes I'll be plodding along, doing a nice pace for a random scene involving zombie feeding or any sexual tension, and suddenly I can hear my mom's voice.  "These are the things you think about?!"  It can be distracting. 

Do you ever experience writers block?  If so how do you find best to cure it?
Definitely.  Especially if I've went too long without writing.  The best way I've personally found to cure it is to sit and stare at that white screen and type absolutely anything that comes to mind.  If I type long enough, I figure something out.

Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?
I appreciate each and every one of them more than I could ever express.  Writing to entertain has always been my passion.  With every reader that appears, I get to live out my dream again and again.  It's a wonderful feeling. 

Which character of yours speaks the loudest to you?
For each book, I feel the answer varies.  In book 3, the one I'm currently working on, I would have to say Kai.  To be so hard-edged, there's something so fragile about her on the inside. 

If you could work with any author who would it be?
That's a tough question because I love so many!  For traditional authors, I'll say Janet Evanovich.  I love her style of humor.  As for Indie authors, again, very hard to just choose one, but I will say Jennifer R. McDonald.  She is one of my favorite Indies of all time.  Her Veilwalker Trilogy is amazing. 

Do your characters try to make like bunnies and create ever more convolved plots for you or do you have to coax them out of your characters?
Oh no, they are bunnies for sure.  Especially Chuck.  I swear, that boy never does anything I tell him.

Is there a theme you haven't worked on yet that you would like to?
As for fiction, I'd like to revisit the time-traveling novel I'd shelved to write The Doyle Hawthorne Series.  And I've got this idea that's been growing over the last year about an alien race.  But I also have been kicking around the idea of doing a compilation of nursing ghost stories.  I would interview healthcare professionals around the state of Ohio about any unusual experiences they've had with hauntings.  Working third shift, everyone's at least got ONE story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...