Thursday, April 05, 2018

My Interview with Alice La Roux 2018

Firebird


1) Can you tell us about Firebird?
Seraphina King has lived a very sheltered life, not through choice, but when someone is stealing from her family she’s allowed certain freedoms in exchange for her help. What she doesn’t count on, is meeting a green-eyed rebel who makes her question everything she’s ever known.

2) What inspired you to write Firebird?
Firebird is loosely inspired by the tale The Golden Bird. A golden bird (a phoenix in some versions) is stealing gold apples from the King’s orchard so he sets three brothers the task of hunting down the bird. They fail, only managing to get a gold feather. They try again, aided by a fox. Two of the brothers would rather go down the pub and get drunk, they’re horrible to the youngest brother, even trying to kill him.

I decided to switch up the gender of the youngest brother and make him a girl. The king is now Archibald King, shipping magnate who owns Golden Apple Incorporated and the golden bird is a rebel group called Firebird. Throw in a police officer called Foxx and there we have it.

3) Firebird is different from your other stories. What was it like writing about a strong independent woman?
Firebird and Frostbitten are both inspired by Fairytales and they turned out very differently. Frostbitten is more fantasy, magic and mayhem whereas Firebird, is contemporary, grittier and a little darker. I’m still experimenting with what I like to write and I think it’s interesting how my works are all different to each other.

I like to think all my female characters are strong independent women in some way. I am a feminist, and sometimes in romance it’s hard because we accept things in fiction we wouldn’t in real life. So some people may criticise Sera for her choices, but she is trying to navigate the world she lives in, she’s trying to find her own happiness despite what it might cost her.

4) When can we expect your next book, maybe a Firebird sequel?
Nope, I have a thread which I can follow for a sequel but I have no plans for it at the moment because I don’t have the time.

5) Can you tell us anything about the next book you’re writing? 
So I’m currently working on three anthology pieces for the next couple of months but my next book will be Man Down, a gritty romance about a soldier injured in Afghanistan and his physiotherapist. It’s not a light-hearted, hearts and flowers kind of romance but I hope people will love it as much as I am.

6) What do you do to get you in the writing zone? Listen to music, have a tv or radio playing etc.
I am one of those people who can’t stand silence. Or quiet. I will literally talk to myself if it gets too quiet. I need noise and usually it’s the radio on in the kitchen (I’m usually home alone) and music playing in my office.

7) I really loved Frostbitten your Timeless Ever After tale any chance you will write more?
Yes! I have something planned for this because people wanted to know more about the Snow Queen and her origins. But also, what happens to the sister? So I do have something in the works for this but it won’t be for a while.

8) I have read everything you have written so far and Firebird and Frostbitten are my favourites, what is your favourite book that you have written to date?
Sinclair from the SIX: Men of the Strip anthology. I can’t resist an asshole and he’s made something of himself from nothing. He refuses to be broken, even when he’s fucking everything up. 

9) For you what is the easiest part of the book to write? 
The swearing and the sex. I love the dramatic bits so they seem to flow easier.

10) And the hardest? 
The bits in-between. The filler scenes that you know the reader needs because they can’t see inside your head, but you aren’t that excited about. Also endings, I tend to leave a few cliff-hangers because I hate ending them.

11) Other than Firebird what else will you have for us in 2018?
So there will be four more anthology pieces, Man Down and another novella called Two’s Company. At least – that’s the plan.

Thank you for answering my questions and I cannot wait to read whatever comes next

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...